Ultra-Modern Art: World's First Software-Generated Art Competition Produces Striking Results

Yesterday we talked about how robots are coming for your menial-labor jobs.  But what about artistry?  Surely, even with robot poets, robot "dreams", and robot literary aids, there's no way that a computer could become autonomous enough to actually paint something that we'd recognize, right?

Wrong, puny human.  They can out-art us, too.

Could a robo-Banksy be tagging the cities of the future?
Or will they be more refined, such as a Van Gogh-bot?
(Artwork by Banksy.  Image courtesy businessinsider.com.)



According to The Pipeteer, the world's first robot art competition has produced some aesthetically amazing results.  Created by mechanical engineer Dr. Andrew Conru as a means of recognizing robot artisans worldwide, the contest was open to submissions created either by a computer and software alone, or a 'bot with a bit of human help.

As the RobotArt website explains, the competition combined "technology and art...to encourage the advancement of both together. Fundamental to the competition is the belief that creativity and expression are emerging in unexpected ways from our relationship with technology."  Fifteen teams from seven countries submitted seventy different piece of art for the inaugural competition.

A detailed set of rules was put in place, with the end goal being a painting or drawing that expressed the "intrinsically human" values inherent to the skills required to complete such art forms.  The winners were judged both by the public (via facebook, accounting for 40% of the overall score) as well as professional art critics (who judged on aesthetics, ability, and technical contribution, adding up to the remaining 60% of the score.)  

The winners' work appears below, with first prize for "Software Generated" art earning $30,000, and first prize for "Manual (Tele-Robotically) Generated" art earning $10,000.  Not a bad payday for an artist of any ilk!


First place in Software Generated art is TAIDA,
from the National Taiwan University.
(Image courtesy pipetteer.com.)


Here's how it happened...


Second place went to "CloudPainter" from George Washington University, USA.



And third place went to NoRAA – Accademia di Belle Arti di Brera, Italy.

Will the next renaissance be computerized?
(Image courtesy thepipetteer.com.)

So there you have it.  No avenue of toil or creativity is safe from the robot usurpers.  Well, at least autotune doesn't sound like opera...yet.


The fourth-place winner, created by "e-David"
of Konstanz University, Germany.
Can YOU take a pen and try to do this?
(Image courtesy thepipetteer.com.)

12 comments:

  1. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, is very helpful my friend. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. yunxuange.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not really surprising if talented developers made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog on:
    Ultra-Modern Art: World's First Software-Generated Art Competition Produces Striking Results
    myTectra: Devops Training in Bangalore
    itEanz: Devops Training

    If you are Looking for Interview Questions for Popular IT Courses Refer the link Below
    Devops Interview Questions
    Informatica Interview Questions
    Docker Interview Questions
    Hive Interview Questions
    Talend Interview Questions
    As400 Interview Questions

    ReplyDelete
  4. All it takes is one effective virus to penetrate your hard drive, and then suddenly you are having serious issues with your PC. Suddenly you cannot work on your computer, listen to music, surf the web, or even send out emails. Getintopc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just pure brilliance from you here. I have never expected something less than this from you and you have not disappointed me at all. I suppose you will keep the quality work going on. http://www.getinntopc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Additionally, numerous organizations these days test the software consistently and under genuine client conditions.windows 10 registry repair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Technology has taken everything to the next level hasnt it.
    Really Awesome.
    It was a pleasure reading your article.
    Hope to read more from you.
    myTectra is the Marketing Leader In Banglore Which won Awards on 2015, 2016, 2017 for best training in Bangalore:
    python interview questions

    python online training

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE FOR TECHNOLOGY
    very helpfull blog it was a pleasure reading your blog
    would love to read it more
    knowldege is not found but earned through hardwork and good teaching
    that being said click here to join us the next best thing in bangalore
    devops online training
    Devops Training in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete